A companion is what a person needs to live his/her life but all relationships do not turn out to be sweet, some of them turn out to be really sour and in such circumstances, the term – “Abuse in a relationship” comes into picture.
An abusive relation is a curse in every possible way. Be it mental or physical, abuse in a relationship has the capability to destroy a person’s identity in his/her own eyes. We all have heard about domestic violence but abuse in a relationship isn’t restricted to it, instead, mental abuse is also a prominent part of such relationships.
The issue here is that people are not aware about the different ways they can be tortured. This leads to self blaming which is one of the prominent reason for depression and other mental problems.
So, let’s begin by looking at various factors which comprise an abusive relationship but people are not aware of this fact:
1. You are criticized without a proper reason. An impression is created that you never speak anything intelligent and you are mostly, no matter what the topic is. This is a form of emotional abuse.
2. You’re forced to agree with them, no matter what. You are not considered capable of voicing your opinion which is pretty much the continuation of the first point.
3. They make choices for you by claiming that they know better or they have seen people doing it and it is what everyone follows. They don’t even let you spend according to your will.
4. You can’t say no to anything that they desire. This could be because they make you feel that you are making them sad or it is the right thing for you to do.
5. They become angry if you don’t share their happiness but they never do the same in your case. Your achievements do not mean much to them. Also, they make you feel that you can’t be loved by anyone else other than them.
6. They make you feel that you are the reason why you have suffered their wrath and if you would have been more subtle or would have followed what they had said, this wouldn’t have transpired.
7. They don’t physically abuse you directly but when they want to shower their fury, they slam tables or doors or throw things haphazardly.
These are just some ways through which a person mentally tortures another person but as correctly stated in a Hindi proverb – “You can’t clap using only one hand.” The person who is under threat must act accordingly because no one will come to protect you until you plan on helping yourself.
It is the worst form of abuse that a person can endure and it is something which is unacceptable. Be it the people you are in love with or anyone else, you are not at all entitled to punish them based on “your judgement.”
Sexual abuse is the extreme version of Physical abuse because it has the power to destroy your will to live and can destroy your self-respect as well. Any situation in which you are forced to participate in unwanted, unsafe or degrading sexual activity is sexual abuse. Forced sex, even by a spouse or intimate partner with whom you also have consensual sex, is an act of aggression and violence. Furthermore, people whose partners abuse them physically and sexually are at a higher risk of being seriously injured or killed.
An abusive relationship is something no one must live with and now that you know if you’re in one. Come out and do not let yourself being tortured time and again because – “The person who endures pain without protesting is as guilty as the one enduring it.”
References:1. https://www.buzzfeed.com/florapaul/signs-you-might-be-in-an-abusive-relationship?utm_term=.olwK6Dvzg#.uvxgkonMY2. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/domestic-violence-and-abuse.htm3. https://www.google.co.in/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&authuser=0